Monday, June 17, 2013

Home sweet home

Hey everyone! I know, I know, I haven't blogged in over a month! The post on Paris and Greece is in the makings, but I wanted to take a break from it, so this post is about coming home!

Once again the airplane ride was boring, and we were all pretty jet-lagged, but it was great to see the familiar face of my grandmother when she picked us up from the airport! In the car ride home we shared our adventures, and when we got out of the car the sweet, soft, adorable little cats that I missed so much, were rubbing up against our legs. Then our friends burst out of the house giving us big hugs! We all ate the snacks on the table, and shared more stories! Then, of course, all of us kids retreated into my brother’s room, and talked. By that time it felt like 2 am in the morning for me, so I don’t know what really happened and what was a dream (or just my imagination) but I do remember the weirdest feeling coming over me. It was as if I was from a totally different world than everyone else. How I was so tired, yet the sky outside was light, the people in the room were wide awake, and I was in that small room with these friends of mine. It was really weird; I don’t know how to describe it very well.
It was otherworldly to be so different, yet so alike.


The next day was the first Friday of the month, for us that means gallery hop! Going down town, and running around with lots of friends, while our parents hang out in a bar, or restaurant!
We were all feeling up to it (thankfully our jetlag wasn’t too bad) so we drove down! Our parents leave us to go find our friends, and as I am walking up I see 4 or 5 girls who go to my school who are close friends. Imagine five girls running at high speed and suffocating you in hugs!
So I spent the rest of gallery hop hanging out with them!

Another weird thing kept happening. Every one sounded like they had a thick country accent. When I was with my friends it was like talking to them as usual, same old people, but hearing strangers talk was as if they were all really southern. I guess I just got used to the German/Austrian accent.

Now most weird sensations have stopped and it feels great to be home! But Sometimes it feels as if I was never gone, like nothing ever happened, but I have this blog to remember. To remember St.Stephandom cathedral, and the Kunst Historisches Museum. To remember Doc.O, Gunter, and Herb. To remember when we played ping pong, and build an IKEA dresser with Annie. To remember when Sarah and I got painted purple by the Lennon wall. To remember the barbeque we had on our porch, when John and my dad made burgers. To remember my art lessons with Rachel. To remember when we went sledding in Turkenshanz Park. To remember all of our adventures in Europe!
Now I want YOU to remember one thing; my adventures don’t stop just because I am back from Europe. I’m sure lots of interesting thing will happen here, so keep checking my blog; I haven’t stopped writing on it yet!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome home. You grace this world as only you can. Not everyone knows it, but they havent BEEN hugged until theyve had a Maya hug! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how much I wished I could share your world with you and your thoughts! But I am privileged to do so through your blog. I love you and am so excited to see you later this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya
    Iknow that feeling of being outside and weird...jet lag and time lag.
    I shall look forward to more blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maya I love reading your blogs - you definitely have a huge talent for writing. How exciting to have friends there to meet you all when you arrived home and I kind of know that weird feeling you had as that is how I felt when Sean surprised us in Paris ( imagine looking at your son and not recognising him - it was unbelievable and very weird) And I can imagine the scene when you went to gallery hop. So exciting. Your grandmother is so right you give the BEST hugs. Love you lots Nana

    ReplyDelete