Friday, February 8, 2013

Arms and armory

Today we went to the Ephesus museum. Or atleast, we were going to.
We went in to the museum and put our coats in lockers, and my mom went to the bathroom while we waited in front of a display case full of weopons.  We went upstairs where my mom had gone and started looking at the arms and armory section which was full of old weopons and armor that the hapsburgs wore. my mom joined us and we listened to some facts about the armor.  We were interested and we decided to just look into the next room, then the next room, and the next room.  A few hours later we found we had finished the arms and armory exhibit and had no time for the Ephesus section, but that was fine because we had a wonderful time in the arms and armory exhibit.  The exhibit was amazing. It was filled with beautiful swords, wonderful designs in sheilds, astounding armor on people and horses all from a loooooooooong time ago! A lot of the things that were displayed were about Maximillion, one of the hapsburgs. He was a progressive hapsburg who was a holy roman emperor.  He was always struggling for money, although he was a hapsburg.  It was hard for him to get down to Rome because of time and money, so he was never crowned as holy roman emperor by the pope, so he called himself the"Elected Roman Emperor". He was fond of armor and he supported the arts and science.
The first picture that I posted was something that the horses would wear to protect themselves.  This interested me because it said that that thing was one of the only one left in the world.  I thought it was kindof cool so i did some reasearch on it and found out these facts:

·the sack is filled with hay
·the horse wore it on it's neck so it would cover its chest and neck, everything else would be covered by armor
·it was for protection of the horse, if an arrow was shot it would go into the sack instead of hirting the horse
·another thing it could be protected from is in jousting tournaments the horse could get badly injured so if the jousting weopon were to hit the horse then it would be protected
·it is the only one known to exist
·in the picture you might be able to see that the bottom half is a different color. It is some kind of stain. We think it could be blood stained but we can't be sure because there is not anything about that online.

Those are the things I found out about the "stechsattel"as it is called. I wish I could find out more about it but since it is the only one known there is not much about.
           I had a wonderful time today, and i can't wait to go back to see the Ephesus section!

P.S. look for Doop in the pictures! H3 is in seven of the pictures!

5 comments:

  1. So interesting --- how long did it take for doop to climb those stairs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Uncle Baron LOVES castles.
    We really enjoyed this story and it was so good to see Doop enjoying himself.
    Maya that stain looks like it could have been sweat from the horse. Not sure.
    I love that you all are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite posts. I love the details about the horses. I am grateful that the riders thought about protecting the horses since they are so vulnerable as they work for the empire~ 8 million horses were killed in World War I since all sides used them in battle. I wish they could have started a revolution and run away from people trying to use them for violent purposes when they should be running in fields and eating apples. I was in Texas this weekend and I was talking about you a lot with my mom and sister. My sister was a hula hoop champion like you. I haven't given up home of learning! or finding a writing contest for us. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting, Maya. Will you be able to return to the museum so that you can see the Ephesus section? I love traveling with you vicariously!

    ReplyDelete